Craig on Sun, 11 Apr 2004 21:56:18 -0500 (CDT)

RE: [spoon-discuss] Thoughts toward a universal Nomic calendar

>>>How about this: The Nweek lasts eight ndays, divided into three
>checkpoints.
>>>The first two are three days in length, the third only two. The nyear is
>>>eight nweeks long, with New Nyear's Day at the beginning outside of the
>>>normal nweek cycle. Every twenty-one nyears, a Leap Nday is added four
>>>nweeks into the nyear. This is also outside of the nweek cycle.
>>>
>>>In B Nomic, the first checkpoint of the nweek is for proposing, the
second
>>>for debate and many other game actions, and the third for voting.
>>>

>>I dislike any scheme that leaves only two days for voting, on the basis
>>that people who may only have access on weekdays, or are away for a
>>weekend, or something don't have a chance. Besides, it's too like a
>>normal week. I'd say go back to the 10 day week with three, four and
>>three days per checkpoint respectively.

>Seven ten-nday nweeks per seventy-three-nday nyear leaves three holiday
>slots... New Nyear's Nday, Independence Nday, and Peter Suber's Birthnday
>would be my picks. Leapndays should come slightly less often than once per
>twenty-one nyears; that's just the first-order approximation.

If we did this with five seasons seasons (I vote for the old ones, but I'm
flexible) then the cycle looks like this. This has a single nday of nweek
eight because we do not know yet when Suber's Birthnday will be as we don't
know when this will take effect. No holinday has an nweek, or checkpoint,
and they aren't counted in dividing up the seasons. I would consider them
each the same holiday as the next nday, though.

Nday Season Nweek Checkpoint
1    Holinday (New Nyear's Nday)
2    Spring 1     1
3    Spring 1     1