Glotmorf on 31 Jan 2004 02:04:41 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Three-Proposal Monte

On 30 Jan 2004 at 18:46, Craig wrote:

> I submit the following proposal:
>
> {{__Three-Proposal Monte__
>
> One of the proposals "Choice One", "Choice Two", and "Choice Three" is
> chosen at random. All players who voted FOR that proposal and AGAINST the
> other two, or AGAINST that proposal and FOR the other two, shall receive 50
> points. Additionally, all players who voted FOR it if it passed or AGAINST
> it if it failed shall receive 20 points. [[Note that no specific proposal is
> specified here, nor is it specefied how players should vote on the
> unspecified proposal, thereby skirting the "No Kickbacks" rule.]]
> }}
>
> I also submit three proposals, titled "Choice One", "Choice Two", and
> "Choice Three". These each have the following text:
>
> {{
> If the proposal "Three-Proposal Monte" passed, give all players ten points.
> }}

Interesting attempt, but it can't work.  If the Monte proposal
was implemented first, it couldn't know whether the choice
proposals had passed, since they hadn't passed yet.  The
proposal would then be over by the time the choice proposals
got implemented.  If the choices came first, they can't know
if the Monte proposal passed.

Perhaps what you're looking for is the creation of a self-
repealing rule: "At the beginning of the nweek following the
nweek in which this rule was implemented, 1d3 is rolled.  Out
of the prior nweek's proposals Choice One, Choice Two and
Choice Three, for the one the corresponds to the number
rolled, all players who voted FOR that proposal and AGAINST
the other two shall receive 50 points.  Additionally, all
players who voted FOR that proposal if it passed, or AGAINST
it if it failed, shall receive 20 points.  This rule then
repeals itself."

I have, in the past, argued against allowing the proposal that
creates this sort of rule, since the proposal's sole effect,
no matter now many times removed it may be, is to create a
kickback situation, and burying it in a rule doesn't change
that.  Wonko believed differently.  See what happens.

						Glotmorf

						Glotmorf
-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a blog study in Social Technology.
http://www.nomic.net/~dwhytock/imt