SkArcher on 28 Jan 2004 01:24:07 -0000

Re: [Spoon-business] RE: [spoon-discuss] Platonism

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:06:16 -0500, Daniel Lepage <dpl33@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<SNIP>

Hats would be... the best analogy I can come up with is like the masks in Majora's Mask, if any of you are Zelda fans. Basically, there'd be one of each Hat, and they'd all have different abilities and drawbacks - if we still had The Grid, we might have a Stone Hat that kept you from taking damage from stuff being thrown at you, but also reduced your speed, or a radar hat that boosted your radar. Card magic could come into play here, too, with things like the Magician's Hat and the Gambler's Cap. Cards or other methods could provide ways of moving Hats around.

Just a thought. Er, two of them.

How about an adaptation of the "6 thinking hats" idea?

to those who don't know what they are, its a method of thought processing

BLACK HAT - Negative thinking, worst case scenarios - the devils advocate
WHITE HAT - Objective thinking, facts and figures - calls for needed facts as well as stating known ones YELLOW HAT - Positive thinking, best outcome, eventual good - the eternal optimist
RED HAT - Emotional context, hunches, instinct - the reactionary element
GREEN HAT - Lateral thinking, creativity, alternatives - the bringer of new ideas
BLUE HAT - Meta-thought, balance, goals, agendas - the neutral mediator

If you had these, then they could play different roles in the Nomic decision making process

Black Hats role is to point out flaws in rules and faults in actions and statements White Hat has the job of defining terms, generating and tracking values, and identifying needed values etc Yellow Hat looks at the best way things can be done for all concerned, the most agreeable outcome Red Hat states hypotheses and theories regarding the unknown (and unknowable)
Green Hat looks for "outside the box" solutions to given problems
Blue Hat sets the agenda, watches things like props, makes sure everyone gets an equal say

I wonder if you could make this concept run the entire Nomic...?

SkArcher