Glotmorf on 17 Jan 2004 04:35:52 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] so do we have a game or not?

On 17 Jan 2004 at 4:14, SkArcher wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 23:20:47 -0500, Glotmorf <dwhytock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > Randomly deleting rules is easy.  I still want to see an
> > effective mechanism for randomly creating them.
>
> It's called a player

I'm serious.  Imagine the following example:

A nomic game in which every noun and every verb used in rules
must be defined in a game dictionary.  Given this, every once
in a while a random rule would be created in the form of

<random noun>s <random: can|cannot> <random verb> <random
noun>s.

This would produce dynamic (and occasionally impossible) rules
such as "Verbs can repeal players" or "Players can create
ballots" or something similar.  I could see players scrambling
to take actions and or make proposals that take advantage of
these surprise permissions and prohibitions.

It would be nice to come up with something more complex than
this too, so that we could theoretically have bot-players, but
that's just a tad out of my league...

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a blog study in Social Technology.
http://ix.1sound.com/ivoryminitower