Zarpint Jeremy Cook on 25 Dec 2003 05:50:57 -0000

RE: [spoon-discuss] Robot Chess

Best idea anyone's had since Political Go--but it's not too likely two robots
would be on the same square. How about each player has 2048/32=64 robots
(controlling 1/32 of the board is about right per player) that can move
either two or three dimensions at a time. But that game is just checkers,
really, which is not that interesting. So let's Kreigspiel the game--
no player can see the whole board, but only knows the location of eir
pieces and when pieces are captured. Then we need some scouting mechanism,
so let's add a King that can be checked, and you try to mate the other Kings.
This would be Political Kreigspiel, since players could share information...
Though we'd need to tinker with the pieces' movement powers probably.

Zarpint

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003, Craig wrote:

> >Just ideas--and hey, we could make the game N-dimensional, where N is very
> >large. We haven't had an 11-dimensional grid yet, have we?
> >Somehow 11-dimensional Toroidal Chess Diplomacy really appeals to me :)
>
> Here's a proto-rule for you: A space on the grid is defined by an ordered
> set of 11 numbers. Each number may be either zero or one. The point whose
> address is {0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0} is called the origin; the point
> {1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1} is called the destination. Each player has a robot.
> Once per checkpoint, each player may move in any single dimension. If a
> robot moves onto a space containing exactly two other robots, one of those
> two at random is captured. Robots may teleport from the origin to the
> destination and vice versa. This ruleset is deliberately boring so that the
> game can be expanded and complexified a little bit at a time; we've got
> 11-dimensionality in though.
>
>  -- Teucer
>
> "I think that square is top of cool shape in the world"
>  -CUBIC* cube
>
> ragnarok@xxxxxxxxx
> teucer@xxxxxxxxxx

Zarpint            "All thy toiling only breeds new dreams, new dreams;
Jeremy Cook         there is no truth saving in thine own heart."
mcfoufou@xxxxxxxxx       --W.B. Yeats, The Song of the Happy Shepherd
grep -r kibo /     "Movements are the problem, not the answer to problems."