Daniel Lepage on 25 Dec 2003 06:00:05 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Junk

On Wednesday, December 24, 2003, at 10:50 PM, Baron von Skippy wrote:

Also, I think some things shouldn't be buildable. For example we might want artifacts that can be found, but that we no longer have the means
to create (like the Improbability Drive on the Baron's old speeder).

I've got to disagree. I'd much prefer to have the grid like a glass box, where the players can only indirectly affect the action inside, and the
inhabitants (the robots) have to evolve and build everything inside
themselves. It would be different than the old grid, and a little more
entertaining.

-Allow me to disagree with your disagreement, probably in a way incompatible with everyone's views. The 'bots are on the Grid, yes? Well, I'm almost certain that there weren't a dozen robots on the Grid when it got nuked, so clearly those 'bots were placed there by us. Therefore, we should be able to send other things in. Maybe not a lot of things - after all, there's got to be some sort of background radiation/entropy/both going on that makes it difficult to get there. Also, I very much like the idea of finding the ruins of the old Grid here and there. Say, the old S.S. Improbable, now a burnt-out wreck whose munitions store was scattered when a missile landed almost on top of it. Note what those munitions were - now think about what happens when someone finds a cache of Whoopass just sort of lying around. I'll give you a hint: It begins with a "F" and rhymes with "oomp."

Any thoughts on this? Maybe I'll get to read them in a few days...-

I dunno... I'm beginning to have doubts about the Plot here... I thought long and hard about what happened on the Old Grid. A lot of it, towards the end, revolved around Prose Props, and people trying to make some sort of continuous plot that was almost... logical. I wonder what effect this has on the creativity of the game - the Grid began with very random, whimsical things like Shiny Things and Elbonian Airways, but by the end, we were constructing a sort of science fiction world... I know I had some complicated plans for things that involved all manner of prose props; and I never had the time to put together all the accompanying material.

Whimsy can be fun.

--
Wonko