Mark Karasek on 10 Dec 2003 19:42:24 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] extreme or other cleverness, and charters

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 18:19:03 +0000 (GMT), Bill Adlam <sagitta_elegans@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

...the society
requires you to transfer your points, which is not the same as you
actually transfering them. Societies can define Auto Actions for
themselves (which are dangerously close to automation scripts, but I
digress), but not for players. They may define restrictions on
players and
may require players to perform actions; doing so does not, however,
cause
the action to be performed.

Yes.  You could however have a charter saying "whenever X happens, the
society forces Y to do Z".  This still leaves open the question of the
timing of forced actions.

From r578/20: "A Society may force its members to perform actions." I interpreted this to mean that a society can tell a player they must perform an action, not that the society actually caused the action to occur. If the player then fails to perform said action, the society can penalize them in some way (kick them out, take some points, whatever). If I'm wrong, then we still have automation scripts, they're just disguised as societies.

--The Pusher Robot