David E. Smith on 27 Nov 2003 00:55:20 -0000

RE: [spoon-discuss] Re: spoon-discuss Digest, Vol 5, Issue 17

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Anything McGee wrote:

[ about A La Carte props ]

> I also have, and will most likely continue doing so as long as they're
> legal.  I understand the Administrator's situation, but they're very
> convenient for the author of the prop -- and in slow nweeks like the
> last one, I'm sure they aren't too much more work for the Administrator
> than a standard prop would be.

The really really annoying part is when they have more than, say, two or
three parts.

The voting software was all written on a "one prop - one set of effects"
assumption. A La Carte props screw up vote counting (since I have to
tabulate the results for each part by hand) and points awarding (since I
have to work out how many parts passed, and do fractions and rounding and
other grade-school maths).

I've said it before and will say it again, I'm sure... If you have enough
really good ideas that they won't fit in five props, start working
something out with another player. We've never had an nweek where
*everyone* used *all* their bandwidth. We've never come close to that,
even, aside from maybe the first couple nweeks, before bandwidth existed.
If you have good ideas, getting someone else to help support them (in the
form of bandwidth) should be easy; and if they really benefit the game as
a whole, the fact that another player gets a few of the points for their
successful passage and implementation isn't that much of a bother. (Heck,
it's trivial to work around that, with a carefully worded prop that
steals those points back, if you're that selfish.)

If you have lousy ideas, you can wait until next nweek to have them shot down.

...dave