Daniel Lepage on 16 Jul 2003 22:51:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Points

On Wednesday, July 16, 2003, at 01:24  PM, Baron von Skippy wrote:

I move in the Dimensions, moving 250 steps in the Score direction (that
is, away from the 0 point, not towards it). Then I move in the
Dimensions again, 450 units away from 0 in the Charm direction, 200
units away from 0 in the Respect Dimension, and 20 units towards 0 in
the BAC Dimension.

As per r154.B.2. [[Dimensions/Existing Dimensions/Charm]], I win.

I cite as justification r407 [[Space]] which states:
{{
A Space is a part of the game state in which it is possible to move in
multiple directions. In general, a player's position in each direction
is called a Component.
}}

Later, it states
{{
The two Spaces that currently exist are the Dimensions, where each
Dimension is a Component, and the Grid, where the X and Y values are
the two Components.
}}

The logic backing my claim runs as follows:

Charm, Respect, and BAC are all Dimensions. [[r154, Dimensions]]
The Dimensions is a Space where each Dimension is a Component. [[r407,
Space]]
It is possible to move within a Space in the directions indicated by
Components. [[r407, Space]]

Thus, it is possible to move in any Dimension, including Score, Charm,
Respect, and BAC, which I have now done.

-Rule 21 states "Whenever a rule states that a player receives points, the number of points in eir possession shall be increased accordingly." No rule states that you recieved points. And no rule states that "moving in the Score dimension" and "recieving points" are the same thing, so therefore you moved, but got no points as as result. Ditto for every other dimension. So... you're now at a totally random location with nothing else changed. Interesting.-

According to r154 [[Dimensions]], "Score" is a nickname for "The number of points in one's possession". By my previous logic, I can change my score; this is equivalent to changing the number of points in my possession, because that's what score is.

Saying "ditto for every other dimension" is in this case completely nonsensical; there is no equivalent of a 'point' in the other dimensions.

And that bit of r21 has absolutely nothing to do with this. In fact, that sentence has absolutely nothing to do with *anything*; it's purely redundant. Of course if I get a point, I now have that point.

And I did get points, by increasing the number of points in my possession.

--
Wonko