Daniel Lepage on 11 Jul 2003 03:05:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Grid II Prop

On Thursday, July 10, 2003, at 10:48  PM, Baron von Skippy wrote:

I was kind of hoping to avoid using players as their own pieces in games. It leads to uncertainty and odd things happening. Remember the Improbable having the ability to destroy anything that was 'not required by the ruleset to exist'? - which technically included players?

-So be very, very careful. Although perhaps it would behoove us to protect players in some other way... you know, I think there's something this ruleset needs. Just a minute while I fire up the Proposo-Matic-O-Tron-De-Luxx (Mark 3)...-

"Be very, very careful," you say. And then you propose this:

Players cannot be destroyed or removed from the game in any way other than voluntary or forced forfeit, and then only if the rule describing the effect explicitly says so.

Well, that would be in a rule; the rule would be describing the effect, namely, forced forfeit; and the rule explicitly says that players can be removed by voluntary or forced forfeit; so, if this passes, I can pull a Scoff! and become the sole shareholder.

Careful, indeed.

-And yet I still don't know what in blazes you've done. Run that by me again.-

Okay, Players cannot be destroyed or removed from the game in any way other than voluntary or forced forfeit, and then only if the rule describing the effect explicitly says so.

But that above sentence would appear in a rule; and it explicitly states that players *can* be removed from the game by forced forfeit.

One could perhaps make the case that this isn't enough to validate the action over the Default case, but I think that would be a hard argument to back up, especially since you also want to add "Players may perform any action allowed by the rules, provided they meet all requirements to perform that action".

So, your rule explicitly gives me the power to force you to forfeit.

By "pull a Scoff!" I was referring to http://lists.ellipsis.cx/archives/spoon-business/spoon-business-200201/ msg00283.html ; the important part of this message was:
Antonio forfeits B Nomic
Baron von Skippy forfeits B Nomic
Bean forfeits B Nomic
Congenital Optimist forfeits B Nomic
Dan  forfeits B Nomic
Glotmorf forfeits B Nomic
Iain forfeits B Nomic
Rob forfeits B Nomic
The Voice forfeits B Nomic
Turgul forfeits B Nomic
Uncle Psychosis forfeits B Nomic
Wonko forfeits B Nomic

Doing that to all of you would make me the sole voting entity.

Sidenote:
Wow. Only five of the 13 players involved are still playing.

--
Wonko