Rob Speer on 28 Apr 2003 01:45:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Why we need OO

On Sun, Apr 27, 2003 at 08:02:09PM -0400, bd wrote:
> Wait - why would we have an Instance of Thingy? I thought it was a base class,
> like Object in java?

Right, nothing should actually be an instance of the root class
directly. I'm just saying what I would expect a class named "RootClass"
to be - it would not be the root class, it would be a subtype of Class
containing things which are the root class.

Naming the root class "RootClass" is like naming the class which Gnomes
are instances of "ClassWhichGnomesAreInstancesOf". The name shouldn't
describe what the class is, but what its instances (and instances of its
subclasses) are.
--
Rob Speer