Orc In A Spacesuit on 26 Apr 2003 00:28:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Who wins?

From: Rob Speer <rspeer@xxxxxxx>
On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 04:22:45PM -0500, Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:
I do not think that modifying a charter such that it becomes a rule counts as a Rule Change. It is not a creation of the rule, as it already existed while not a rule. It is not modification of a rule, as it is not a rule until the modification happens. And nothing's being deleted.

When you create a ham sandwich, it used to be a few slices of bread, a
slab of meat, and assorted other ingredients.

Makes sense to me.

When you create a rule, it used to be a bunch of text characters in a
proposal.

Makes sense, pretty much. Rules can be created via other methods, however, such as the Circuit Breaker.

Except for this supposed rule, which used to be a Charter. Turning it
into a rule would be creating a rule the same way that the usual method
is creating a rule. So this rule doesn't exist, as it would have had to
be created first, which is illegal.

I honestly don't understand what you're saying here. I'm guessing that you're saying that I can't make something a rule, because a rule has to be created, like your ham sandwich. If this is the case, then, to use your analogy, I'm not creating a ham sandwich from scratch; I've already got most of it (the charter), sitting there for a while; I'm just sticking in the ham and mustard to make it a full ham sandwich.

If I'm missing misunderstanding, please show me how.

I agree with Orc on the rest. Therefore, nobody wins.
--
Rob Speer

Orc in a Spacesuit