David E. Smith on 25 Apr 2003 06:54:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Grounded

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Glotmorf wrote:

> Don't you get it yet?  IT IS EQUAL!  Anyone can do what I did with
> M-Tek.  Anyone, including you, me, Wonko, BvS, bd, and on and on.

I must respectfully disagree. You took advantage of a fairly unique
situation -- that being the departure of a player, which was known about
(at least by you) well in advance. This is not a sufficiently common event
to justify the statement "anyone can do it".

I have long been an advocate of the "one player - one vote" principle.
While at least on paper Iain may still have been a player (and in fact
still is - I'd welcome his return), Iain hasn't actually posted a single
message to spoon-business in many months. (I'm not about to dig through
the archives to find the last one, but it's been quite a while.) Unless
"Iain the B Nomic player" is acting of eir own volition, and not that of
"Glotmorf the B Nomic player", as far as I'm concerned, it's inherently
unfair.

Maybe this business will be what it takes to finally abolish the menace to
(B Nomic) society that is Societies. It'd be a big prop, as it'd have to
make allowances for the societies that have foolishly become ingrained in
other parts of the ruleset, but I would heartily endorse any such
maneuver. Hell, it can't make things worse than they are now...

...dave