Orc In A Spacesuit on 24 Apr 2003 20:47:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Uh... Crap...

From: Daniel Lepage <dplepage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Glotmorf" <glotmorf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
I modify M-Tek's charter by adding 100 to the charter's charm, and the following text: "If this charter ever possesses charm, it evenly distributes it among M-Tek's members."

Funny thing is, charters don't actually *do* anything; it's the societies that do. So while I suppose that with the current wording, you could technically give a charter charm, the chart won't ever do anything based on the text.

So, that charter won't do anything. And yes, Wonko's attempt wasn't legal, either.

Did you have any reason for saying that, or are you just in denial? Yes, with the current wording, you could technically give a charter charm... and I did. Since *I'm* the charter, I get Charm. So I Win.

Well, I pretty much covered everything you say here in my last message, but lemme go ahead anyway... Yes, you can give a charter charm. But you aren't the charter. Your Exploitation society does not have a charter, and "Players may not change the game state." And if somehow if your society did gain a charter on creation, it would be empty, and not give you the power to change it.

However, that doesn't mean that there isn't still exploitability in the Societies rule, exploitability brought up by Wonko's prop that I voted against all that while back...

Some of you may recall "Orc's Exploits of Props E Voted Against", or OEPEVA, a society I created a while back. Seeing as OEPEVA does things when I state it does:
OEPEVA modifies its charter to have the following text appended to it:
"Orc in a Spacesuit can make any change to the rules e wishes, at any time e wishes. Orc in a Spacesuit can make any change to the gamestate e wishes, at any time e wishes."

Your charter was destroyed when it ceased to be tied to the game. There's nothing there to modify.

It exists. Just because there's nothing saying the can be created now doesn't mean it suddenly disappears. For a real-world analogy, if you blow up a Ford Motors plant, you aren't going to have a bunch of trucks disappear. You just won't get any new ones.

Now, that doesn't have the force of rule?  No problem!
OEPEVE modifies its charter to be a rule, with a Chutzpah of 4 and in Layer 4.

Yes problem. Rule changes aren't covered by r18.

"Rule Change consists of the creation (enactment), modification (amendment), or deletion (repeal) of a rule." I'm not modifying a rule, I'm modifying a charter. After the modification is done, the charter is a rule. And I'm all-powerful.

Orc in a Spacesuit