Orc In A Spacesuit on 24 Apr 2003 20:40:02 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Uh... Crap...

From: Daniel Lepage <dplepage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Thursday, April 24, 2003, at 01:36  AM, Glotmorf wrote:

Didn't we just decide that the gamestate cannot be affected by things which whose existences aren't provided for in the rules, like charters and whatnot? Thanks to Mr. in a Spacesuit's most recent society screw, while a society can manipulate some object called a charter, it doesn't say that such an object as a charter actually exists. Therefore, you can't create a society that includes a charter, since the initual state of such an object isn't defined.

No method is prescribed for giving Charters to Societies, nor even is any method defined for determining what a Charter is. Therefore, it being unregulated, it is perfectly legal for me to decide what a charter is. I decide that it's me.

"Players may not change the game state."

Rule 18 doesn't apply in this case, because r578 says charters can be manipulated; that means charters are regulated. There's just no provision for their creation.

Nothing even defines them. They're not in any way, shape, or form regulated.

Nothing defines Wobbly Ducks in the ruleset, either. Doesn't mean I can just make or them out of the blue.

M-Tek, fortunately, doesn't have that problem...

Game precedent, if nothing else, tells us that when a type of object ceases to be defined as a Game object, all instances of that object are automatically destroyed.

That would only make sense if the only reason it existed was a rule that stated "There exists ...". If a prop passes that states, "Create one Wobbly Duck, which is a Passable Carryable Object, at (3,6)", would it cease to exist the moment the prop finished being processed? No. Once it has been defined to exist, it exists /until some event changes that/.

But thanks for mentioning the Entropy thing... I dictate that "A New Exploitation!" modifies its charter by setting its charter's entropy to zero.

*Now* I win.

Too bad you aren't the charter, as stated above.

Orc in a Spacesuit