Glotmorf on 23 Apr 2003 01:52:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Nweek 39 BALLOT

--- Daniel Lepage <dplepage@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Gnome bags do nothing against entropy meltdowns,
> because the current
> meltdown rule forces us to go into Limbo first,
> causing us to drop all
> our gnomes; thus, when 'all gnomes not in gnome bags
> are destroyed',
> there are no gnomes in any gnome bags.
>
> It seemed to me that we should change that item so
> as not to make
> people think that bagging would help...
>
> Bagging does bury inherent effects of gnomes -
> Fire/Ice gnomes (the
> only ones with such effects) don't alter the
> temperature around you if
> they're bagged. Bags also protect against ROS-forced
> dropping. That's
> fine with me. But I see no reason why anything
> should let you keep a
> bunch of Bomb Gnomes through an Apocalypse, and, as
> the rules already
> make this the case, it seemed wise to remove
> anything that might
> mislead people into thinking it wasn't true.

Hm.  Okay, updated vote pending.

> Siren Bait, High

> usefulness, especially if there
> >>
> >> As long as players are allowed to buy rocks at
> any location at any
> >> time, there will never be any strategic use for
> Sirens at all, unless
> >> you have some reason for wanting a player to lose
> a point or two.
> >
> > A siren creates a flypaper zone around a rock, so
> a siren controls
> > more area than a rock, or even a line of rocks,
> for far less points.
> > Players can't move through rocks, but players
> can't even move past
> > rocks with sirens on them.
>
> I don't mean that Big Rocks are an alternative to
> Sirens; I mean that
> as long as we can drop them anywhere, we can easily
> destroy any Sirens
> in our paths. Not to mention that Bomb Gnomes, Force
> Destruction, and
> Speeder Lasers can all do it too. As long as it's
> easy to take out a
> Siren, they serve no tactical purpose.

Timing is everything.  Someone can drop a tactical
siren on a rock someone is sufficiently close to, and
that person is stuck until either e toads or someone
else splats the siren.  E can't splat eir own siren.

> > A side thought...Should everything on the grid be
> BNS-based?
>
> Yes.

So...prices for rocks, siren bait, gnomes, etc. should
go for BNS rather than points, and points from
unauthored proposals should get one-way converted into
BNS from the bank...?  We'll need to agree on a
conversion rate and a new pricing scheme.

> (Wonko)

> >> Any particular reason?
> >
> > Still seems like they should be useful, especially
> considering squares
> > of type fire, Barney being on fire, and burning
> drilling rigs.
>
> But they've been around for many nweeks, and nobody
> has ever used
> either. Why would anyone start now?

Because I've suggested it...? :)  Gimme a bit and I'll
write a proposal...

-- Glotmorf