Daniel Lepage on 22 Apr 2003 21:38:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Nweek 39 BALLOT

On Tuesday, April 22, 2003, at 05:25  PM, Glotmorf wrote:

On 4/22/03 at 4:58 PM Daniel Lepage wrote:

On Tuesday, April 22, 2003, at 03:50  PM, Glotmorf wrote:

The Prez of M-Tek presents the M-Tek Position on the nweek 39 ballot:

Proposal 1441/0: Hey, another fix! (Wonko)

No.  No change since last nweek.

What was the objection last week? If you're complaining about the
'neutering' of Gnome bags, remember that they don't work here anyway;
I'm just making it more obvious that they have no effect.

Gnome bags protect gnomes in them from entropy meltdowns and a side effect of a Ring of Summons. If you want to make gnome bags go away, do a thorough job of it. Don't just take away one of the effects.

Gnome bags do nothing against entropy meltdowns, because the current meltdown rule forces us to go into Limbo first, causing us to drop all our gnomes; thus, when 'all gnomes not in gnome bags are destroyed', there are no gnomes in any gnome bags.

It seemed to me that we should change that item so as not to make people think that bagging would help...

Bagging does bury inherent effects of gnomes - Fire/Ice gnomes (the only ones with such effects) don't alter the temperature around you if they're bagged. Bags also protect against ROS-forced dropping. That's fine with me. But I see no reason why anything should let you keep a bunch of Bomb Gnomes through an Apocalypse, and, as the rules already make this the case, it seemed wise to remove anything that might mislead people into thinking it wasn't true.

Proposal 1458/0: Cleanup I: Mischeviousness, Siren Bait, High
Priestess
(Wonko)

Part 1: Yes.
Part 2: No.  Siren bait has strategic usefulness, especially if there
are more rocks.
Part 3: Yes.

As long as players are allowed to buy rocks at any location at any
time, there will never be any strategic use for Sirens at all, unless
you have some reason for wanting a player to lose a point or two.

A siren creates a flypaper zone around a rock, so a siren controls more area than a rock, or even a line of rocks, for far less points. Players can't move through rocks, but players can't even move past rocks with sirens on them.

I don't mean that Big Rocks are an alternative to Sirens; I mean that as long as we can drop them anywhere, we can easily destroy any Sirens in our paths. Not to mention that Bomb Gnomes, Force Destruction, and Speeder Lasers can all do it too. As long as it's easy to take out a Siren, they serve no tactical purpose.

A side thought...Should everything on the grid be BNS-based?

Yes.

Proposal 1462/0: Cleanup V: Shears and Swabs (Wonko)

Hmm.  No.

Any particular reason?

Still seems like they should be useful, especially considering squares of type fire, Barney being on fire, and burning drilling rigs.

But they've been around for many nweeks, and nobody has ever used either. Why would anyone start now?

--
Wonko