Daniel Lepage on 20 Apr 2003 02:32:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Fwd: RE: [Thermo] Proposals File

On Saturday, April 19, 2003, at 04:43  PM, Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:

From: Daniel Lepage <dplepage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cosmic Godlike Body Odor would be a great name for a Super Power. Or a Rock Band.

I nomiate that one for the Hall of Quotations, or whatever.

Nomiate?

Actually, why restrict it to a subgame? What if we just made some random powers that could be granted to players in the game? We'd need a minister to track who had what, but some pretty spiffy powers could be made...

Interesting. I like it. From all the ideas you suggest, however, I think it would go under the responsibility of GridMin and/or Statkeeper. Both of which I am/will be.

I don't think it should go to either - it's a fundamentally different thing. My suggestions were mostly Grid oriented, but nothing stops us from making other abilities that affect, say, proposing, or Society membership, or something like that.

Regarding the ministries, I think it would be much, much easier if we combined a few of them. If I'm GridMin and managing all the different objects in it, why should we add a third wheel of a seperate person to manage the Gremlins among all those objects. I think it would be better for each Minister to be independent of other Ministers and of Dave. Hopefully, I'll be able to just report to Dave point changes and a few other things, and let him just handle things like vote counts. Get a lot off his hands.

That's why I wanted a massive database of objects. A while ago, when I was working on a program that would automate pretty much the entirety of the Grid Ministry, I discovered that many other ministries were going to end up doing nothing but repeating what my program already knew. The logical solution, then, is to set things up so that my program wouldn't have to know that stuff; other ministries would record things, and the program would read them. So when the weather went Hailing, the Gnome Minister could change some things in database, and the grid program would know this without needing input from the GridMin.

--
Wonko