Orc In A Spacesuit on 11 Apr 2003 07:03:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Nomic relations

I said before that the proposed rule was too general, too vague, and tried to do too much with those general, vague terms. Wonko, I think, has the same objections, but finds specific problems.

I think the solution is to not try to build this giant structure with Subers and object limitations and such; instead, we should do each interaction with another nomic as a custom job. Maybe trade a few items with one. Maybe have interactions in another, not trading, but cause-effect things, like whenever Whoopass explodes here, it does something to another nomic. Other stuff. But each time it should be done with each nomic as a completly custom job.

My 2¢.

Orc in a Spacesuit

-I'm almost willing to agree, so keep talking. Just answer me one thing. What happens when they steal our rules and make our stuff for next to nothing, to spite us? Answer me that and I'll go over to your way of thinking. Say "we crush them with great justice," and I'll pretend I never suggested the idea in the first place.-

[[BvS]]

Well, what's to stop any nomic from looking at our ruleset, saying "ooh, those are cool!", and making a new rule that's like it? And the fact that there is no single overarching authority (like a single unified ruleset) to govern such things, and such is damn impossible and/or wouldn't be agreed upon, opening up free-flowing commerce just doesn't seem to be something that'll work out too well. I think that hammering out very specific rules in both nomics for each kind of interaction would be best; if they feel like "stealing" rules, they can, though if they set up rules specifically to trade Whoopass with us, I see little point -- we have rules defining the generation of Big Sticks, and whether these Sticks come from the nether or come from another nomic shouldn't be much an issue.

If you're wanting a free-flowing commerce, that's another issue. If you want to do that, then the only way to truly regulate it would be to create a new InterNomic, and have all everything -- points, Subers, objects, whatever -- be totally governed by this InterNomic, as its own objects. It could, for example, have the rule "Any participant nomic may pay B Nomic 4 Subers to gain 1 Can of Whoopass." Then, C-Nomic could have the rule "Whenever C Nomic gains possession of a Can of Whoopass in InterNomic, any player may purchase a Can of Whoopass in this nomic for 20 C-Notes." We have our Cans, InterNomic has their own Cans, and C-Nomic has its own cans. Heck, D-Nomic could even have "Whenever D-Nomic gains possession of a Can of Whoopass in InterNomic, all players become Flurbled and are moved to the Punishement Room".

There's a lot to do with this. But we either need to have each thing done real individually with each nomic, or get a central authority.

Orc in a Spacesuit