Daniel Lepage on 8 Apr 2003 22:42:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Lots of stuff

On Thursday, March 27, 2003, at 10:01  PM, Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:

This is not to say that *all* abilities need to be kept through Resets... One interesting approach I found in a game called "Rumble", which was based on the idea of superheroes beating each other up for no particular reason. The idea was that before the game started, every player would come up with a couple 'Super Powers', which could be anything they wanted, from "Every turn, gain three hit points" to "if you get up and do the chicken dance, every other player must do the same or lose 30 hit points." These abilities were then put into a pool, and one by one they were pulled out. When an ability was pulled out, each player would write down how much they were willing to pay for that ability; all players would reveal their bids simultaneously, and whoever bid highest would lose starting hit points equal to eir bid and gain the ability.

That sounds absolutly awesome. I'm gonna try that with my brothers and sisters next time I go home. I wonder how hard it would be to make an online version; I assume some of the qualitly would be lost with the real life aspect, as you can't really chicken dance online. Or at least I don't want to see it.

The game's a bit more complicated than just that, but not by much. Full rules, plus some suggested abilities, can be found at http://kevan.org/rumble.cgi

What if some special abilities were passed on like that? So at every reset, we could all bid on who wanted to take over the Ministry of the Force, or Wealthy Bastard Enterprises; you could get instant promo to Jedi Lord, or control over the sale of Speeder parts, but you'd have to pay more than anyone else was willing to to get >> them....

Yeah, sounds good, for those things there might be stiff competition for. Would help with setting prices as well, as each person would put up what they truly think it's worth to them.

It also occurred to me that some of the of these abilities, etc. could be handed to the winner... with perhaps methods set up for others to take it from em if e wasn't careful... Sort of like MacroNomic's Ruling Party, a three-person group with extra proposal powers; any Proletarian with more than twice the Loyalty of a Revolutionary Party member could trade places with that member at will.

--
Wonko