Orc In A Spacesuit on 25 Mar 2003 14:17:01 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Wins and resets

Hmm. We don't need a win after a reset, if we can get something else going. Let me explain:

I think the purpose of the entropy reset is to give the players/admin a breather after a lot of action. Therefore, I think it should be rather limited, and maybe reduced a lot from what it is now. Maybe just chuck everyone in limbo and switch endzones, and turn off the clock for a couple wdays.

Next, I belive the purpose of having play continue after a win is essentially to start the game over, rather than all of us just saying, "Well, that was fun. Bye everyone.", and not playing anymore, or starting a completly new game. A Nomic did not have such a clause; Rob won, and that was it. Game over. It took nearly half a year for B Nomic to get started.

Now, if we are starting the game over, I think that it should have all players on equal footing. Not give certain players advantages because they invested in some things. However, this does not mean we need a full reset; if we can just change things up so that everything's balanced, that would work great as well. Instead of destroying all speeders, how about we give everyone a speeder that doesn't have one, and set all speeders to max integrity with no upgrades? Stuff like that. And for improvements, perhaps we could make them all unowned, and allow anyone who wants to buy an unowned one. Sure, this will stymie personal empire building, but will allow for long-term development of the grid. And if want to keep your stuff, buy it back before anyone else does.

I'll leave this to discussion.

Orc in a Spacesuit