Wonko on 8 Jan 2003 04:04:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] NWEEK 30 BALLOT

Quoth Orc In A Spacesuit,

>> From: Wonko <dplepage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Quoth Orc In A Spacesuit,
>>> Proposal 1283/0: Have you considered being a Plotting Radical? Baron von
>>> Skippy)
>>> No
>>> I think that philosophies should affect the game, but not in vote-changing
>>> ways.
>>
>> Dude, didn't you propose a vote change philosophy?
>
> Dude, only because Glotmorf did and I didn't feel like raining on his
> parade, so rather than fight against it I just went for equality.  Seems we
> had enough squabbling in the past aleardy.  And I did vote for another
> vote-giving prop (if we're going to have them, another won't hurt).  This
> prop just gives too much power in my opinion.

I have an idea for a non-vote-altering philosophy, but I doubt I'll get it
out for a while, given everything else going on... I also need to finish the
GridMinistry program, an idea I had involving races, statistics, bonus
boxes, gemstones, and lots of explosions, and a potential 7200 square
aquatic grid...

>>> Proposal 1287/0: You May Say I'm A Dreamer (Anything McGee)
>>> Yes
>>> But you're not the only one... which is why I want philosophies to have
>>> different aspects for people to pick and choose from.
>>
>> Dude, you've said that many times... if you feel so strongly about it,
>> PROPOSE IT!
>
> Last time I tried changing one of Glotmorf's babies... well, you all saw
> what happened.  That, and I have a half written prop to expand on races
> that's been sitting idle for 3+ weeks due mostly to my no internet.  You
> guys are graced by my presence only by visits to my dad's office, where I
> help out with their computers. :)  And I leave today to get back to the
> school grind tomorrow, so who knows how much time I'll have.  And I still
> have music, life cores, some uber thing, and several other projects in the
> works either in my mind or the hard drive.
>
> Long story short -- I told Glotmorf what I wanted, and we have been tossing
> our thoughts around.  I'll let him make the prop unless he wants me to.  His
> idea, I figure he can keep in true to the spirit better too.

We all saw what happened? Perhaps my memory's just gone screwy (I knew
playing with those magnets was a bad idea)...

In general, I wasn't aware that we had much in terms of
idea-possessiveness... there are dozens of things which I proposed way back
when that have since been altered substantially. It seems to me that if
everyone follows their own set of ideas and never builds/remodels anyone
else's, then we end up with a dozen players each with eir own little set of
rules that e made, ignoring the ideas e can't affect. I always thought that
one of the best things about Nomic, the thing that really made it different
from every other game, was the fact that a new game, like the Grid Game we
have, could be constructed through the free exchange of ideas, getting
contributions from many different people. It doesn't work if everyone works
on their own little subgame; then you get a dozen boring subgames, instead
of one really interesting one. It's sort of like the difference between the
FSF and the commercial gaming industry, except without one group getting
money.

> Dang.  I ramble way too much.  My apoligies.

Actually, that reminds of something I've been meaning to ask: How hard is it
to get new mailing lists? I mean, how hard would it be to set up, say, three
discuss lists, one for REALLY urgent messages [[like, "there's a
game-destroying flaw in your proposal, and voting starts in ten minutes]],
one for general idea-discussion, and one for general rants, rambles, and
stupid bouts of Calvinball? At the moment, given the silence, it wouldn't
change much, but when the game gets going again it could make a big
difference in terms of how much mail we each need to consider each day...
Also, there could be one more discuss list devoted to some topic of Dave's
choice, which gets changed as circumstances warrant, so when all scores
become undefined, Dave could set the list to be a 'Dimship discussion' list,
and later when something else becomes a big issue, it could be set to the
something else. That would be very useful, in terms of separating out which
messages we actually care about.

--
Wonko