Rob Speer on 4 Dec 2002 07:10:03 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] This should do it

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 09:33:16PM -0500, Glotmorf wrote:
> But your proposal doesn't work.  R1219 says it can't be changed or repealed except by me, whereas you're changing R10 to say R1219 can be repealed by a proposal.  That creates a direct conflict between R1219 and R10, which means the Chutzpah kicks in and R1219 takes priority, no matter which way the ID numbers go.  And R1219 prevents the proposal from repealing it.

Read the Chutzpah rule. The order of precedence goes like this:

1. Rules explicitly stating that they take precedence or defer to other
rules
2. Chutzpah
3. ID numbers

(Egad - it looks like I've just described meta-chutzpah...)

I've noticed a lot of blind faith in Chutzpah as the ultimate measure of
a rule's power, and you let that affect you in making your rule.

If Chutzpah had been the overriding factor, I would have modified Rule
10 to have chutzpah 101 first.
--
Rob Speer