Orc In A Spacesuit on 22 Nov 2002 02:26:03 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Survey Time!

Wonko Voted:
Orc Surveyed:
1. This prop has 10 races.  What do you think of this amount?
b. A lot, but it's not really a problem

Insect could go, couldn't it?

There's nothing truly special about it at the moment, but people wanting Drone should get some variety. I'll consider tossing it.

2. About the race selection, and the _ONE_ you want:
f. I don't care.

3. About the races in general:

Faeries ought to be faster, I would think. And I think Elves should be
generally much better than all the others, and then have some race-
specific drawback (like, say, they have to hang out near Trees or they slowly lose points. That would make things more interesting.)

Faeries: Hmm, yeah, although perhaps they should have some sort of energy requirement, like a hummingbird. Elves: Well, considering the actual effects of those attributes are not implemented by the prop, putting a special limitation on Elves would be unbalanced at the moment. As for their stats, I figured that was pretty accurate for most versions of elves, but then you have so many versions: LotR elves, D&D elves, M:tG elves, 'fairy tale' elves, Santa's Elves, Black Ops Elves, Keebler Elves... I placed them at slightly weaker than humans, more intelligent, faster, and little less alcohol-tolerant, cause all they drink is wine :).

*DOH* just remembered another facet I was going to introduce: Hit Points. And not just for gnomes. But that can wait. I'm thinking have lots of things that 'hurt' in the game reduce Hit Points (rather than points, as they do now), and 0 Hit Ooints being bad. But let's do that later.

4. The prop restricts whether you can be M/F only, Drone only, or any, based on your race. What do you think of this?
b. But what about a drone insect?  It could happen!  Change it!

Well, yes, they may be /called/ drones, but they are really female or male.

5. The prop creates 4 new attributes.  What do you think of this amount?
c. Seems a bit much, but it's ok.

6. What do you think of the names and selection of the attributes?
c. It'll work (for now).
Blobs will have a tremendous PGGB advantage, won't they? What with 16 times a faery's Tolerance... Not that I've got anything against Glotmorf getting drunk out of eir whatever-body-part-passes-for-a- skull-in-blobs, but I do have a problem with em getting paid more than I do to do it.

Blobs are slow and not very strong. I figure they can absorb a ton of booze with little effect (and this balances them out). A better balance would be similar to elves; worse stats, but a special ability. Whenever HP comes in, they will most likely come out on top there.

7. The prop allows for the possibility of future events and items to modify the new attributes (Like Speed Boots, +1 SPD). What do you think of this?
d. I like it.

"Speed Boots" is a pretty boring name, though.

Well, I wanted something easy to understand as an example. I would never propose such a boring name. By the way, what do you think of the name changes to the Speeder upgrades suggested by my shelved prop?

8. Is the prop buggy?
a. Yes, it'll mess up the game.
You haven't put in a method for people to change eir race.
Hmm, yes, I will need to do that. But only to go from Undefined to a standard race. To change it to something else will require something... complicated.

And if your mining proposal passes that creates 'fossils' and gives them each a Race, this will cause problems.

Hmm, yes. *considers a Human Skull with 10 WIT.* Perhaps a change to Species? Although actually, there wouldn't necessarily be problems, as I would think that using stats would require taking action (something I find a fossil unlikely to do), possessing objects (more unlikely), and/or having points (or something to be modified as a result of something else). And if ther is a "Human Basher Axe", that knocks Humans back 1 square, then I think it should knock back the dead ones too >). But yeah, I'll fix that.

9. How do you plan to vote on this proposal?
h. Haven't really made up my mind
We'll see.

Yes, we will.

Cordially,