Wonko on 22 Nov 2002 03:33:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Survey Time!

Quoth Orc In A Spacesuit,

>> Insect could go, couldn't it?
>
> There's nothing truly special about it at the moment, but people wanting
> Drone should get some variety.  I'll consider tossing it.

I read ahead, and a few paras down you're going to say that Insects can't be
drone....

>>> 3. About the races in general:
>>
>> Faeries ought to be faster, I would think. And I think Elves should be
>> generally much better than all the others, and then have some race-
>> specific drawback (like, say, they have to hang out near Trees or they
>> slowly lose points. That would make things more interesting.)
>
> Faeries: Hmm, yeah, although perhaps they should have some sort of energy
> requirement, like a hummingbird.

Constant Coffee intake?

> Elves: Well, considering the actual effects of those attributes are not
> implemented by the prop, putting a special limitation on Elves would be
> unbalanced at the moment.  As for their stats, I figured that was pretty
> accurate for most versions of elves, but then you have so many versions:
> LotR elves, D&D elves, M:tG elves, 'fairy tale' elves, Santa's Elves, Black
> Ops Elves, Keebler Elves...  I placed them at slightly weaker than humans,
> more intelligent, faster, and little less alcohol-tolerant, cause all they
> drink is wine :).

But they drink a lot of it... that should build resistance :)

> *DOH* just remembered another facet I was going to introduce:  Hit Points.
> And not just for gnomes.  But that can wait.  I'm thinking have lots of
> things that 'hurt' in the game reduce Hit Points (rather than points, as
> they do now), and 0 Hit Ooints being bad.  But let's do that later.

Yes, let's.

>>> 4. The prop restricts whether you can be M/F only, Drone only, or any,
>>> based on your race.  What do you think of this?
>> b. But what about a drone insect?  It could happen!  Change it!
>
> Well, yes, they may be /called/ drones, but they are really female or male.

But you said that was the point of insects.

>>> 7. The prop allows for the possibility  of future events and items to
>>> modify the new attributes (Like Speed Boots, +1 SPD).  What do you think
>>> of this?
>> d. I like it.
>>
>> "Speed Boots" is a pretty boring name, though.
>
> Well, I wanted something easy to understand as an example.  I would never
> propose such a boring name.  By the way, what do you think of the name
> changes to the Speeder upgrades suggested by my shelved prop?

They look fine to me. Some of them (like the Cargo Bays) I was really hoping
to come up with better names for, but I just couldn't think of anything.

>> And if your mining proposal passes that creates 'fossils' and gives them
>> each a Race, this will cause problems.
>
> Hmm, yes.  *considers a Human Skull with 10 WIT.*  Perhaps a change to
> Species?  Although actually, there wouldn't necessarily be problems, as I
> would think that using stats would require taking action (something I find a
> fossil unlikely to do), possessing objects (more unlikely), and/or having
> points (or something to be modified as a result of something else).  And if
> ther is a "Human Basher Axe", that knocks Humans back 1 square, then I think
> it should knock back the dead ones too >).  But yeah, I'll fix that.

The thing I'm more worried about is people changing eir races to the
fossil-defined races. Or, for that matter, to Gremlin or Yeti. Why not only
allow fossils in the extant races?

But then, what if something allows you to do something unpleasant to things
of certain races? And here you've got this leg-bone that's a legal target
for it?

--
Wonko