Orc In A Spacesuit on 24 Oct 2002 10:04:02 -0000

[spoon-discuss] warehouses and more

Well, I'm sitting here in a lab at 4:20 AM, cause my internet's out at home and I can't sleep. I have rewritten the societies prop again; corporations are now a kind of society. I also made lots of other changes, mostly just proofreading stuff, and failsafes in case of the game going (more) nuts, and also cleaned up the vSOI rules, removing some stuff from them that's no longer necessary, and as a corrolary, made vSET a Society too. When I get Internet back at home, I'll post the new prop.

However, that still leaves one problem with the prop that Glotmorf has:
Right now, it doesn't support societies having resources/units/raw materials/athames, whatever. I said that I had a prop half written out in my head that'll allow that stuff, with Factories and Warehouses and stuff. I was going to save that for when I do Machines, but I'll go ahead and state what my Warehouses part looks like, kinda. The way I envision it, Warehouses are incorporated with other stuff, and adding them wouldn't be nearly as complicated as this:

I do not propose the following rule, as this is not public:
{{__Warehouses__
In this rule, Players, Societies, and Gremlins are Entities.
In this rule, all things that can exist on The Grid, including all Grid Objects, are Physical Objects In this rule, all Physical Objects that can be carried, picked up, thrown, dropped, and/or possessed are also Carryable Objects.
[[I didn't include dependence because it doesn't come up in this rule.]]

There exists a class of objects named Warehouses. Warehouses are Physical Objects. All Warehouses have an Owner, who is an Entity. All Warehouses are Passable. All Warehouses must have a unique name, which may not be "Hiding". [[You'll see why below]]

Warehouses may possess Carryable Objects. Any Player who is in the same Location as a Warehouse may give any Object in eir possession to the Warehouse. If the Owner of a Warehouse explictly permits it, any Player may take a Carryable Object from a Warehouse at eir Location.

Any Carryable Object in the possession of a Warehouse is not considered in the same Location as the Warehouse, but is instead in the Location "In X"; this Location does exist while the Warehouse exists. If a Warehouse ceases to exist, all Carryable Objects it possesed are transferred to the last Location of the Warehouse.

Any Entity may purchase a Warehouse for (10*(2^X)) points, where X is the number of Warehouses that Entity has purchased during the current nweek. When purchasing a Warehouse, the Entity must choose a Square in which the Warehouse is placed.

If more than one Warehouse is in the same Location, the one that entered that Location most recently is destroyed [[The process repeats until there is one left]]. If a Warehouse is in the same Location as an Impassible Object, it is destroyed.
}}

There, that should be enough to get everyone's gears turning. I'm sure you all can fill in the rest.

For WBE, change the rules such that entities can Recycle certain Carryable Objects in Warehouses, maybe requiring a machine or something; and when something is Recycled, the Owner gets Materials. And define Societies, Players, and Gremlins (why gremlins? they don't get any now, but may in the future) to have the Property Materials.

While on the subject of Materials, I think it's too broad. Maybe we should specify Paper, Plastic, Metal, and Wood. I may incorporate that into machines, where there are several different kinds or resources, and if you own the machine and have what it needs, you can get stuff. If we do this, we may want to make the resources purchasesable for points (but not at very economical prices, so people actually try to get them the hard way).

Oh my gosh. I just got another idea. Maybe we could require people to get Paper in order to post to a Public Forum.
*dodges the thrown tomatoes, gremlins and athames*

Orc In A Spacesuit
wonders what Dave would think about the players having to get stuff in the game before they can stuff his inbox.