Glotmorf on 23 Oct 2002 06:43:02 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] A Rant.

On 10/22/02 at 9:37 PM David E. Smith wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Oct 2002, Glotmorf wrote:
>
>> I still say web-based proposal entry/edit forms.  That'll take out a
>> good chunk of the recognition stuff, and even help get the ballot out on
>> time.  If lynx is really that big an issue, what about being able to
>> upload a text file via a webpage as an option.
>
>The bigger problem with Web-based proposals is that not everyone knows
>HTML. lynx isn't really a problem; it's actually quite nice for some of
>these things. (I do much of my work with lynx -- a couple keystrokes and
>I'm in my editor of choice, which has some handy HTML-izing macros.)

I think you misunderstood...My fault for forgetting "form" was defined in the context of the game.  What I meant was, we put together an HTML form on the B Nomic site that people can enter proposals into or edit within.  Players don't have to know HTML; they just need to know how to fill in a webform.

>> As a last resort, you do know that all you really have to do if you need
>> time at the end of an nweek is say, "Guys, I need more time" and not do
>> anything for up to six days.  The clock is off, and there's no grounds
>> for an SOE, and even if you did take more than six days, an SOE requires
>> a majority recognition, and I can't see a majority of us stiffing you on
>> downtime.
>
>Yeah, but that's not the POINT.
>
>Ideally, this game is bigger than me. It simply isn't fair for me to make
>everyone else (and we're averaging 8-10 "active" players, and two or three
>hyperactive ones, at any given time) twiddle their proverbial or literal
>thumbs for up to a week at a time just because I'm having a lousy day.

Well, I for one wouldn't mind the occasional delay...it'll give me more time to argue with people.  And, considering you don't know your schedule for the next year or two, and considering that even if you did you can't predict your next burnout period or awesomely hot date prospect, it would be far easier to make allowances for you to take breaks pretty much whenever you feel like it than to try to regulate patterns that might give you more time but that you couldn't make things fit into.

In other words, I'd rather have a rule that stops the clock when things don't get done by a certain time than say there are breaks at certain times that are your alloted downtimes.  That's what I'd want if I was an administrator.

And no, I don't want the job.  I'm irresponsible.

Which isn't to say I'm against any attempt to distribute things among ministers somehow.  As long as there's failsafes in place should they for whatever reason disappear.

						Glotmorf