David E. Smith on 23 Oct 2002 02:48:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] A Rant.

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002, Glotmorf wrote:

> I still say web-based proposal entry/edit forms.  That'll take out a
> good chunk of the recognition stuff, and even help get the ballot out on
> time.  If lynx is really that big an issue, what about being able to
> upload a text file via a webpage as an option.

The bigger problem with Web-based proposals is that not everyone knows
HTML. lynx isn't really a problem; it's actually quite nice for some of
these things. (I do much of my work with lynx -- a couple keystrokes and
I'm in my editor of choice, which has some handy HTML-izing macros.)

> As a last resort, you do know that all you really have to do if you need
> time at the end of an nweek is say, "Guys, I need more time" and not do
> anything for up to six days.  The clock is off, and there's no grounds
> for an SOE, and even if you did take more than six days, an SOE requires
> a majority recognition, and I can't see a majority of us stiffing you on
> downtime.

Yeah, but that's not the POINT.

Ideally, this game is bigger than me. It simply isn't fair for me to make
everyone else (and we're averaging 8-10 "active" players, and two or three
hyperactive ones, at any given time) twiddle their proverbial or literal
thumbs for up to a week at a time just because I'm having a lousy day.

...dave