Glotmorf on 20 Oct 2002 06:33:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] A Rant.

On 10/19/02 at 11:29 PM David E. Smith wrote:

>[[ You should probably just ignore this, as I'll likely regret having sent
>it in the morning. ;) ]]

I for one don't regret reading it, or knowing the rest of the playerbase is reading it.  It needed to be said.

>I want ways to either offload a good portion of the bookkeeping tasks I
>have to deal with to other people (preferably without forcing anyone else
>to have to do these marathons), or at least to reduce the amount of time I
>have to spend in one sitting. (If I could think of a way to do so fairly,
>I'd love something like "every time X new proposals are filed, a new
>ballot starts the next day" where X is maybe 15 or 20, as opposed to 40+
>for nw24, and 63 (!) for the nweek previous.)
>
>Technical ideas are also welcome. Again, as soon as I can figure out how
>to do so safely (i.e. in a fashion that doesn't invite rampant vote
>fraud), online voting will be on its way -- that one's trivial to do,
>since the database has been doing vote handling for a while -- and maybe
>even online proposals.

I still say web-based proposal entry/edit forms.  That'll take out a good chunk of the recognition stuff, and even help get the ballot out on time.  If lynx is really that big an issue, what about being able to upload a text file via a webpage as an option?

>But I want something relatively soon; if I can't recover at least a little
>bit of my free time, you may need to start looking for a new Admin.

As a last resort, you do know that all you really have to do if you need time at the end of an nweek is say, "Guys, I need more time" and not do anything for up to six days.  The clock is off, and there's no grounds for an SOE, and even if you did take more than six days, an SOE requires a majority recognition, and I can't see a majority of us stiffing you on downtime.

						Glotmorf