Wonko on 15 Oct 2002 22:28:02 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] The Infinite Improbability Drive

Quoth Glotmorf,

> Oboy.  A chaos bomb.  Just what this game needs.

Did you say 'needs' or 'is'? ;)

> First of all, it can do too many bad things to too many people, so I would
> vote no.

So can the rest of the ruleset.

> Secondly, it talks about setting random grid squares to type void...I assume
> that includes surface squares, so that the void is no longer a bottom barrier,
> it can also be tunneled under.  Um.  I would vote no.

Quite frankly, I think the whole surface square thing could use a total
revamp; as soon as I have the time, I plan on trying to fix it.

> Third, since the whole die roll thing comes after the actual movement thing,
> it appears the die roll thing overrides the movement thing, so all these ugly
> things happen when one uses the drive, and one doesn't even get to move.  So I
> would vote no.

I disagree with this - it says, "When a speeder moves with the IID, 1d100 is
rolled". This means that it doesn't happen until the speeder makes the move.
So the move still works.

> Finally, even if I *were* to vote yes, I'd probably CFI that, even if it's
> technically a prose prop, it should earn zero prose prop points since the
> Baron didn't actually, like, you know, whatcha call, write the prose.  Perhaps
> we can give points to Douglas Adams' estate instead.

I agree that I wouldn't give em any bonus points for it, but it's not
CFIable - nothing prohibits plagiarism. The whole point of the Literary
Ratings system (vs. the original 10 points per prose prop) was so that if
someone did something cheap like writing a crap-ass story or copying someone
else's story, we could all collectively decide to give em 0 points.

--
Wonko