Daniel Lepage on 11 Oct 2002 00:10:02 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] The Daily Recognizer (Wednesday Nite)

Quoth David E. Smith,

> NOTICES :::
>
> This is not a complete Recognizer -- again, it covers what I can get to
> before I need to sleep. Obviously, I need to give that up.
>
> The Ministries Web stuff is fixed (a random side-effect of the other stuff
> that got broke in Joel's latest upgrade, I think). Ministers can update
> stuff all they bleepin' want.
>
> I would genuinely appreciate any suggestions on ways that Ministers and I
> can better coordinate actions (so we don't have things like the Gnome
> Minister not knowing that bd could afford all the bomb gnomes e wanted to
> buy, because I wasn't yet able to recognize all eir points transfers
> to/from Orc). In fact, just about anything that would reduce the fact that
> I'm a bottleneck in this game would be appreciated. Dammit, I'd like to go
> to bed before 1:30 am every now and then!
>
> Hell, while we're at it, I'd appreciate it if people who find massive
> logic holes could exploit and/or fix them without making me spend twenty
> minutes entering data that will likely be eliminated within a few days
> anyway. (That goes for everyone strip-mining hundreds of random spaces,
> creating bogus societies, and generally being idiots. You know who you
> are. Thank you, drive through.)

See, that's why I'm advocating a SOE. So we can stop the game before Dave
has to do any more pointless busywork.

> CHARTER MADNESS! :::
> The AS charter is revised.
> bd joins AS.
> BvS and Wonko join OrcTech. I almost deleted that 'press release' because
> it looked like spam. :)
> "The Secret Mookies" charter is 1112, excepting the fact that WMNV is its
> only member as of its creation (nobody else can be forced to join; there's
> a lot of rules that say or imply that, go do your own research).

No, there are no rules that say that. There's a section of a rule that
implies that, but it's superseded by a later section of the rule which says
otherwise.
If Glotmorf hadn't gotten a CFI through to the effect that societies are
created upon declaration, then the rest of the rule would agree that nobody
could be forced to join a society. But e insisted on eir interpretation, and
this is what happens.

> The AS charter is revised again, and WMNV joins.
> "Wonko's Slaves" charter is 1118. (Only Wonko is its initial member.)
> "Wonko gets points" charter is 1119, and its charter doesn't actually do
> anything, as points and the creation thereof are regulated by existing
> rules.

This I admit my argument was rather flimsy on. But the rule could still use
some clarification; it shouldn't have been possible to build a semi-decent
argument for something so absurd.

> "Amalgamated Infinite Loops" charter is 1120, and you people should by
> Goddess know that you can't force others into your societies. (BvS still
> converts all eir points into BNS, though.)

See above.

> bd cannot move, as eir intended destination is occupied by Orc, and
> (AFAIK) that silly "no two players in the same square" rule is still
> around. Fortunately, Orc vacates that square just minutes later; bd later
> moves right on in.
>
> Glotmorf strip-mines (6,3). This has the (possibly-unintended) consequence
> of nuking Wonko's 40 airspeeders, and yields 35 Resource Units to
> Glotmorf. That square is now Gravel.

No, it was intended.

> Orc pings Wonko even closer to the Siren, whilst moving a lot. (-2 points
> for the pinball gun, given from bd to Orc)
>
> Wonko uses the Force to crush the Siren, and pings Orc right back. (Since
> Wonko already owned a Pinball Gun, I'm assuming e meant to use it instead
> of buying a second one, which isn't legal, and thus e doesn't need to
> borrow 2 points from Luigi, which e wouldn't need to do anyway as e still
> has points.) Wonko's subsequent moves fail (having already moved before
> joining a Football Team, and having no Airspeeders as they all got
> strip-mined, I'm not entirely sure how to respond.) Wonko also fails to
> join Team Crimson, under whichever rule it is that decrees teams must be
> balanced.

Oh. Oops.

> BvS leaps onto the Grid (and, possibly, into the path of Barney).
>
> WEIRD STUFF :::

You mean, as opposed to the rest of it, which wasn't weird at all :)

> It's warm. So warm, in fact, that The Yeti returns to Limbo and all Frozen
> Grid squares aren't anymore.
>
> I think enough vSOI members have accepted the change to make it official:
> next nweek's Sale will be on Grain Gnomes.
>
> Orc borrows 10 points from Luigi, and subsequently gives lots of points to
> bd.
>
> (Random aside: If the Gnomes Minister would be so kind as to include in
> eir recognitions how many points players have spent for their transactions
> when they're recognized, that'd be swell and peachy-keen.)
>
> "Wonko May Not Vote" joins the game, although I think it'd be swell if e
> had a less-confusing name. Welcome! E gets 500BNS, and does some Grid
> stuff. WMNV is assigned The Voice as a Mentor, even though e doesn't
> immediately appear to need one.
>
> Glotmorf and BvS each receive 5 points for leading their mentees through
> two nweeks without disastrous incident. bd does not, as Mithrandir has
> left the game.
>
> Glotmorf gives WMNV 1 point. Awful generous of 'em...
> Wonko gives WMNV 5 points. The charity just keeps racking up!
>
> bd throws seven bomb gnomes at Orc's Airspeeder, which just strikes me as
> really odd (and totals the darn thing).

Really? I thought e moved... Or I shot em... Or something....?

--
Wonko