David E. Smith on 11 Oct 2002 00:06:02 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] About those browers

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:

> I know that as an official computer geek and Microsoft basher that I should
> know these things, but I don't:  Can you give me the details on konqueror
> and Galeon?  Like if they are text-only, what kind of
> scripts/java/activex/whatever they can have, etc?

Konqueror is the browser that's included in the KDE window
manager/suite/whatever. Having not used it, I'm unsure of its
capabilities.

Galeon is a weird sibling of Mozilla -- it uses the Mozilla page-rendering
engine, but generally seems to be much faster.

lynx, links, and w3c are the most popular text-only browsers; the rest are
generally graphics-friendly, like what most of us are used to.

Anything ActiveX will alienate at least me and probably others, as that's
a Microsoft-only technology.

JavaScript is built into just about everything (heck, I think even Opera
supports it now). Java is available for Mozilla and friends, but you have
to jump through some hoops to enable it (basically, you have to download
the Java Runtime package and install it separately; at least, that's what
I had to go through).

Server-side scripting in Perl or PHP or whatever is always safe (unless
Joel breaks the server :) and Java seems to be potentially available just
about everywhere.

Flash/Shockwave are available pretty widely -- there's a native Linux
Shockwave plug-in, and there's also the CrossOver project for those
inclined to spend twenty bucks (well worth it, just for the QuickTime
support).

...dave