Orc In A Spacesuit on 10 Oct 2002 00:18:02 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] problems, ideas

From: Daniel Lepage <dplepage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Quoth Orc In A Spacesuit,
>> From: "The Voice" <nomicvoice0@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>> What were the problems with my props about Wind and The Hanging Chad? I'd >> like to change them, but I don't know what the issues were that caused them
>> to be Shelved... kinda makes it hard.
>
> The Hanging Chad: I voted no, and am opposed to the rule in it's current
> form and purpose, simply because I think that we already have too many vote > affectors. They screw with the game too much, and if someone collected a > few things, some very rediculous things could get passed. I really think we > ought to get rid of all of the things except the Hands that are of Players, > as that's a rememberance of them, and while they can have a big impact on
> the game, they are not game-breakers.

Personally, I think the game is more interesting with lots of vote-changing
items. I was, however, toying with the idea of different levels of
proposals; for example, a level 1 proposal could do nothing more than move
Grid Objects around, a level 2 proposal could effect any change to the
gamestate that didn't affect rules, proposals, judgment, or society
charters, level 3 could be anything without rule-changes, 4 includes
repealing rules, 5 includes modifying rules, 6 allows anything. Or something
like that.
Then, you could do interesting things with bandwidth, like restricting
everyone to only one lvl 6 prop per nweek, or something, and you could also
adjust the vote-changers to only affect, say, lvl 4 or under props...

Sounds interesting. If we do that, we'll need to really cement down some rules regarding voting.

>> On an unrelated note, I'm toying with an idea about incorporating Music
>> somehow... maybe having different tunes that players could play on
>> different instruments and having them have different effects... does anyone
>> have thoughts on this?  Any ideas would be appreciated/possibly
>> implemented.  Thanks a lot.

"An unrelated note"... ha. ha. *grimaces* That's really bad.

> Sounds interesting. Get a system set up where different players can make
> their own contributions, whether wanted or not.  Here's an idea:

"Sounds interesting"? Are you doing this on purpose?

I just now figured out what you meant by The Voice saying "An unrelated note", and me saying "Sounds interesting". I'm in a good mood, so I think it's funny.

> (note! This is partial, I know it's missing stuff!)
> {{__The Power of Music__{*(Music),1}
> }}

Have you ever seen those Magic Cards like War Dance, where every turn you
put a counter on them, and you can sacrifice them to do spiffy things with
the number of counters? This reminds me of them.

Yes, I have. I didn't really think of it in that way until now. Actually, I didn't mean for it to get more powerful over time, but have different instruments have different effects. Like 1 changeing targets, 1 nullifying previous notes, and so on. And having the real challenge being getting no dischords; I meant that to be the primary drive to get new notes.

Also, have you ever read any of the Silmarillion?

Yes, a few years ago, but I didn't get too far. I do remember how the musicians were playing together, and 1 went on his own, and later they were shaping the world, and the 1 went against what the others did, eventually becoming the big bad guy.

Orc In A Spacesuit
is in a good mood.