Glotmorf on 23 Sep 2002 03:19:05 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Bnomic-private] Sorry, I'm out

On 9/22/02 at 11:03 PM Wonko wrote:

>But if the default case regulates an action, then r18 doesn't apply. And
>the
>default case regulates ALL gamestate-changing actions. Thus, r18 hardly
>ever
>applies, since practically everything is regulated by the default case.
>
>But if r18 permits an action, then the default case doesn't apply. And r18
>permits ALL unregulated actions. Thus, the default case hardly ever
>applies,
>since practically everything is permitted by r18.
>
>Except that if the default case regulates an action, then r18 doesn't
>apply.
>And the default case regulates ALL gamestate-changing actions. Therefore,
>r18 hardly ever applies, since practically everything is regulated by the
>default case.
>
>But Wait! If r18 permits an action, then the default case doesn't apply.
>And
>r18 permits ALL unregulated actions. Therefore, the default case hardly
>ever
>applies, since practically everything is permitted by r18.
>

>Looks like we have ourselves a genuine ambiguity.
>
>Anybody want to CFI, or shall I?

The tricky part is phrasing this as a polar statement, such that judging it true results in one clear interpretation, and judging it false results in another clear interpretation.  One could say that it's just as false to say that r18 supercedes the default case as it is to say that the default case supercedes r18.

But I'll take a shot at it...

						Glotmorf