Baron von Skippy on 18 Jul 2002 20:53:03 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: proposal - Right to Privacy

> > >-You speak sense, except... Where else would the latter be done? Unless a
> > >rule or CFI is really, really mean, hostilityis mostly expressed over
> > >-discuss. Also, HTML mail can screw people up no matter which list it's
> > >sent
> > >to.-
>
> -This still leaves the matter of hostility, which I thought was a bad idea > for the LOGAS, but, in the spirit of... I think it was Voltaire, or someone
> with a V name, I will now defend its ideals resolutely. Hostility will
> happen much more often in the looser forums: spoon-discuss, IRC (not that we > use that much), and, concievably, private e-mail messages. (Note: anyone who
> reports that someone else was overly hostile in a private e-mail for the
> purpose of kicking that player in the ass will be forever unofficially
> branded a jackass, and no one will ever talk to you again, and your friends
> wil shun you, and you'll get a nasty paper cut. Jackass.)-
>
>                                                    -BvS-

It's true that hostility happens mostly in the private forum-but that
forum still shouldn't be regulated. It's not part of the game officially,
just as two of us talking casually about the game isn't part of the game.
Just as an overly hostile email shouldn't be kicked in the ass, an
overly hostile private forum message shouldn't either, for the same
reason-it's not official. The "Jackass" brand applies just as well.

I think the "kick-in-the-ass" system is fairly good for public forums,
because the penalty is about right. Of course, as pointed out, Nomic can't
_prohibit_ anything, only _penalize_ after the fact-just like governments.

Hence, my proposal...keeping kicks in the ass for public forums, but no
restrictions on private forums.

Athena

-Eh, screw Voltaire. Having hostility be a kickable offense does create issues of "how much is unbridled," and that will make stupid CFJs...-

                                                  -BvS-