Jonathan David Amery on 18 Jul 2002 10:18:04 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Prop 860

> Wild Card...Problems/concerns/objections I have with the Proposal Chits=
>  proposal (apologies if they've already been addressed):
>
> 1. This will substantially restrict the number of proposals.  It begins by=
>  causing players to be limited to fewer proposals than the current=
>  bandwidth restriction, and thereafter limited to one proposal per nweek,=
>  unless they are willing to spend points to make proposals.

 Unless I've got the timing clauses wrong, players should start out
with at least 5 chits.

> 3. This doesn't allow for the possibility of a single player belonging to=
>  multiple societies, and donating a piece of eir bandwidth to each.  Under=
>  the existing rules, a player can belong to, say, two two-member societies,=
>  and a club prop made by each would cost em a total of one against eir=
>  bandwidth.  Under your system, it would cost em two chits.

 Over time it will work out to the same effect, while being less
confusing in the short term (in my opinion).

> 4. This doesn't allow for the formation of proposals by societies with no=
>  players (which, for all I know, you regard as a feature).  This would=
>  prevent the functioning of, for example, House Grem in my proposal, and=
>  also any gremlin that had been tasked to create proposals.

 I've got nothing against gremlins being given chits through other
methods, or having an explicit get-out from needing chits.  And you
could modify your proposal to give House Grem chits.

> 5. "A player that is Burnt cannot have their last Proposal Chit removed=
>  from them by any means."  This should be rephrased.  In Nomopoly II there=
>  was something called the Magic Kazoo, which made its possessor immune to=
>  expenditures while e played the thing.  I outbid everyone in the game's=
>  auction on multiple items, then played the Kazoo to make me exempt from=
>  paying, so I got all the items for free.  I see something similar with=
>  being Burnt: you can make as many proposals as you want, and that last=
>  chit yoyos back to you with each one.

 Hmm, I see that.  I'll issue a revision later today.

> 6. Why are you eliminating the failed proposal points penalty?  And why are=
>  you punishing players for the failure of their proposals by effectively=
>  reducing their bandwidth?

 You can't take both sides of that argument!  I've replaced a direct
points penalty for failed proposals with an indirect one.

 WC.