Glotmorf on 18 Jul 2002 05:29:03 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Prop 860

Wild Card...Problems/concerns/objections I have with the Proposal Chits proposal (apologies if they've already been addressed):

1. This will substantially restrict the number of proposals.  It begins by causing players to be limited to fewer proposals than the current bandwidth restriction, and thereafter limited to one proposal per nweek, unless they are willing to spend points to make proposals.

2. This may result in ballot spikes if chits ever actually reach high numbers for all players, and all chits are spent at once.  If your goal was to lower the burden on Dave, what this really does is make that burden unpredictable.

3. This doesn't allow for the possibility of a single player belonging to multiple societies, and donating a piece of eir bandwidth to each.  Under the existing rules, a player can belong to, say, two two-member societies, and a club prop made by each would cost em a total of one against eir bandwidth.  Under your system, it would cost em two chits.

4. This doesn't allow for the formation of proposals by societies with no players (which, for all I know, you regard as a feature).  This would prevent the functioning of, for example, House Grem in my proposal, and also any gremlin that had been tasked to create proposals.

5. "A player that is Burnt cannot have their last Proposal Chit removed from them by any means."  This should be rephrased.  In Nomopoly II there was something called the Magic Kazoo, which made its possessor immune to expenditures while e played the thing.  I outbid everyone in the game's auction on multiple items, then played the Kazoo to make me exempt from paying, so I got all the items for free.  I see something similar with being Burnt: you can make as many proposals as you want, and that last chit yoyos back to you with each one.

6. Why are you eliminating the failed proposal points penalty?  And why are you punishing players for the failure of their proposals by effectively reducing their bandwidth?

						Glotmorf