Wonko on 3 Jul 2002 02:01:05 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Things wrong with "Junior G-Men"

Quoth Glotmorf,

> On 7/2/02 at 8:44 PM Wonko wrote:
>
>> Quoth Glotmorf,

>> and
>> being a

>> Even

>> differ
>>>
>>> Rule 497:
>>>
>>> "If multiple subsections of a rule conflict with another rule, only those
>>> subsections with a Chutzpah higher than the conflicting rule will take
>>> priority over the conflicting rule. If multiple subsections of a rule
>> conflict
>>> with each other, the subsection with the highest Chutzpah takes
>> precedence;
>>> otherwise, normal precedence rules are followed."
>>>

>> Rule 33:
>>
>> "In the event of a conflict between two or more rules, the rule with the
>> highest Chutzpah takes precedence."
>>
>> Rule 33 has a lower number than rule 497; it therefore supercedes it.
>
> Rules 33 and 497 are not in conflict.  Rule 33 talks about an entire rule
> conflicting with another; Rule 497 talks about subsections of a rule
> conflicting with another rule, where different subsections of the rule have
> different Chutzpahs.  Two different cases, two different rules.

They conflict in this case - a subsection of one rule contradicts a
different rule. Rule 33 states that the subsection defers, because a
subsection is part of its parent rule, so it's a conflict between to rules,
and the subsection's parent defers to the other rule. Rule 497 says
otherwise - that the subsection can have an independant Chutzpah and thus
supercedes the other rule.

So:

By r33, r294 supercedes r578 in its entirety.
By r497, sF of r578 supercedes r294.

This is a conflict.

By r33, r33 supercedes r497 in the event of a conflict.

Thus, r294 supercedes r578 in its entirety.

--
Wonko