Wonko on 2 Jun 2002 17:03:35 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Entropy Tests

Quoth Dan Waldron,

>> Actually, the Entropy rule is one, because it checks on four different
>> levels: below the one-syl threshold, above the one-syl but below the
>> two-syl, above the two-syl but below the three-syl, and above the
>> three-syl.
>
> Actually, the relevant part of the entropy rule does exactly three tests,
> and all of them work fine with the "false" assumption.
>
> The rule works like this:
>
> if (test 1) then impose 3-syllable limit.
> if (test 2) then impose 2-syllable limit.
> if (test 3) then impose 1-syllable limit.
>
> There may be rules which use more complicated tests, but if we can break
> those tests down into a series of simple tests then we should have no
> problem applying the "false" rule.

What about "If the player with the lowest nonzero score has at least 20
fewer points than any other player with a nonzero score" - I'm not sure
that's the exact wording, but it's from the Scoring Gremlin.

Does it ask "is BvS' score less than Wonko's?" and get No, or does it ask
"is Wonko's score less than BvS'?" and get No?
--
Wonko