Wonko on 26 May 2002 02:43:02 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Physical Law/Mutable Rule

Okay, suggestions:

Quoth Dan Waldron,

> Defining Rule
I assume this would be Physical Law?
> {{
> There exist three types of rules: Physical Laws, Mutable Rules, and
> Charter Rules.
>
> Physical Laws take precedence over all other rules.  No Mutable Rule or
> Charter Rule can declare an exception to any Physical Law.
>
> Charter Rules defer to all other rules.  No Charter Rule may declare an
> exception to any other rule.  The subsetset of entities to which a Charter
> Rule or group of Charter Rules applies must be specified by Mutable Rule
> of Physical Law.
Subsetset? Maybe only one 'set'?
> }}
>
> To make this work requires surprisingly few changes:  Here are the biggest
> ones.
>
> 25/1 The Administrator - Physical Law
> {{
> The Administrator is responsible for all game duties not assigned by the
> Rules to the other players.  The Administrator may make changes to the
> Rules and the Game State.  The Administrator is also responsible for
> updating the Game State to show the results of actions taken.
> }}
>
> Ministers - Physical Law
> {{
> Ministers may make changes to the game state within the juristiction of
> their ministry.
> }}
>

> Permissions - Mutable Rule
> {{
> Ministers and The Administrator may change the rules or game state only as
> instructed to do so by Mutable Rules.
> }}

Why is this mutable? Doesn't that mean that the two Physical Law rules that
grant the (Ad)Minist(rat)(e/o)rs the power to change the gamestate at will
take precedence over it?

> Here is the list of physical laws.  A few of them will need fixes.  I
> would also like to combine the gremlin definitions because there are a lot
> of them scattered all over the place and they make very little sense
> unless grouped together.  I'd like to do the same for gnomes and
> miscellaneous grid objects.
> Physical Laws:
> 1/0 The Game
> 2/1 Names
> 3/6 Time
> 4/3 Versions and Revision Numbers
> 5/3 Serial Numbers
> 7/0 Spivak Pronouns
> 8/1 Comments
> 9/0 Randomness and Dice
> 13/1 Players (fix)
> 14/0 Forfeit (fix)
> 16/0 Fora
> 17/3 Timing of Events
> 25/0 The Administrator (fixed)
> 150/1 Screw That! (fix)
> 151/0 That Wasn't Me!
> 153/2 Universal Law
> 154/4 Dimensions
> 205/2 Leaves of Absence
> 206/0 Garbage Collection
> 207/0 Merrymaking
> 210/0 You Are Here
> 213/4 The Cursed Sushi of Babel
> 214/2 I Can't See The Clock
> 217/3 Standard Delimiters
Is there any reason why this is Law?
> [...]
> 296/4 The Scoring Gremlin
> 297/2 The Witch Gremlin
> 298/1 List Of Nobility
> 299/1 Bandwidth Gremlin
> 300/2 Keywords
> 301/8 The Grid
> 344/0 I've Got the Style It Takes
> 345/1 The LoanShark Gremlin (AKA Luigi)
> 346/2 Big Rocks
> 347/1 The violence inherent in the system
> 348/4 The Yeti
> 349/0 Grid Objects
> 350/0 Pinball Guns
> 351/1 Elbonian Airways
> 352/0 i said i've got a big stick
> 353/0 Shields
> 354/0 Buttplates
> 355/2 GremBall
> 356/2 Sexy Sirens On The Rocks
> 393/0 The All-Important Default Case (fix)
> 394/10 Monday Night Football!
> 395/1 I get no respect!
> 400/2 The Meteor Gremlin
> 401/1 A Whole New Ball Of Wax
> 402/2 The Window Gremlins
> 405/2 Weather
> 406/1 Yoyo Gnomes
> 407/0 Space
> 408/1 Water, Water Everywhere
> 439/0 Hiding Really Means Hiding
> 440/6 Entropy
> 441/1 Gnomes
> 442/0 Basic Gnomes
> 443/0 Third and long... *boot!*
> 446/1 Radar
> 467/0 Ice Gnomes
> 468/0 Fire Gnomes
> 469/0 Dimensional Realms
> 492/0 The Golden-Armed Gremlin
> 493/3 DimShips
> 494/1 Siren Bait (fix)
> 495/1 Rah, Rah, Sis Boom Bah! (fix)
> 496/0 the AAAHHH! Gremlin
> 497/1 Subsections
> 498/4 Beer Cans
> 499/0 The 5-Star General Gremlin
> 500/0 The Goon Gremlin
> 501/0 The Police Gremlin
> 502/1 Happy New nYear
> 503/0 Cheers!
> 545/1 Temperature
> 546/0 Pass! I'm Open!
> 547/1 Death
> 548/1 Sheep Gnomes
> 549/0 Shears
> 550/2 Cotton Swabs
> 551/1 The Bandit Gremlin
> 573/2 Stop the World!  I Wanna Get Off! (split)
> 574/0 The Bowling Gremlin
> 575/0 Replication
> 576/1 The Gnome Factory
> 577/0 Radar Towers
> 579/0 The Flaming Gremlin
> 581/0 Weather Gnomes
> 628/0 Blood Alcohol Content
> 632/0 Garbage Cans
> 635/0 DimShip Guns and Armor
> 637/0 Gnome Bags
> 638/2 The Wine List
> 639/0 Gnomes Up The Wazoo
> 640/0 Winter Gnomes
> 641/0 Summer Gnomes
> 662/0 Impaired coordination
> 664/0 Heard it through the grapevine
> 696/0 BYOB
> 699/0 The Slightly Less Important Not-So Default Case
> 700/0 Minister of the Survey of Ordinance (fix and switch)

Poposal? I hope this won't become another 'proosal' thing... ;)
> 20/2 Eligible Voters
> 22/2 Post-Win Reset
> 23/1 The Ballot
> 24/0 The Roster
> 26/0 New Players
> 27/1 Winning
> 28/1 Designation of Fora
> 29/0 Twilight of the Fora
> 30/1 Vote Counting
> 32/8 Proposal Passage
> 124/0 Proposal Scoring
> 125/0 Automation
> 126/6 Call For Inquiry
> 127/3 Judges
> 128/6 Judgement
> 129/3 Statute of Limitations
> 155/2 No kickbacks
> 204/1 Thou Shalt Not Screw With Time
> 208/0 Proxies
> 209/0 Misbehaving Judges
> 211/0 Paper Trail
> 212/1 Bandwidth Rationing
> 216/1 Elimination of Boilerplate (fix action for instruction to the Admin.
> Take out the bit about Standard Delimiters)
> 255/2 Typos
> 257/3 powers of Executive Tidiness
> 294/0 Limitation of Voting
> 358/0 Dependant Proposals
> 396/1 A Little Fun For Everyone
> 403/0 Opposed Proposals
> 404/3 Judicial Rear View
> 436/1 You Can't Have Football Without Color Commentary
> 437/1 Literary Forms
> 578/1 Societies
> 580/2 Shelve
***
> 625/1 Ministers
> 626/0 Ministerial Elections
> 627/0 Ministerial Non-Confidence
***
Didn't you say Ministers were going to be PhysLaw?
> 629/0 Yawn
> 630/1 Club Props
> 631/1 Club Charters
> 633/0 The Upper House
> 636/0 Keep your hands off!
> 697/0 Consent of Ministers
> 698/0 Insta-Rules
> 701/0 Insta-Minister
> 703/0 The Other Exploitation
Umm... You could repeal this if you wanted... anyone?
> 704/0 Judgement Props
> 706/0 A La Carte Props

So what exactly determines whether something ought to be Law or Rule? I
understand most of it, but some things don't make sense... like why is the
Insta-Minister Rule but the Survey Minister Law?

--
Wonko