Wonko on 19 Apr 2002 02:44:28 -0000

spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: The Daily Recognizer (Thursday Evening)

Quoth David E. Smith,

> Since Wild Card plugged the hole that allowed free modification of
> meta-rules, the various changes perpetrated afterwards are illegal and not
> recognized.

Seems to me that Wildcard did not actually plug the hole...

 By Rule 12/0:

#  Rule Changes that affect Rules needed to allow or apply Rule Changes
# are permissible. Even Rule Changes that amend or repeal their own
# authority are premissible. No Rule Change is impermissible solely on
# account of its self-reference or self-application.

 This rule explicitly permits Rule Changes that affect rules needed to
allow Rule Changes.

Under the new R18, rule changes are only legal if a rule explicitly permits
them. R12 explicitly permits them. So what we all did was legal.

There was only one real change, though:

****
In rule twelve, at the end of the fourteenth word and the twenty sixth word,
I add "if and only if a rule other than this one permits it."
****

That closed the loophole, and I edited out all the other changes beforehand.

--
Wonko