Gavin Doig on 29 Mar 2002 17:18:21 -0000

spoon-discuss: RE: spoon-business: The Daily Recognizer (Friday morning)

> "And yet you are possessed." is 519/0 and contains very confusing logic.
> If I may ask, how is Rule 10 pointless? (Yeah, the last sentence is
> debatable -- and I wrote the damn thing. But how do you get there for the
> rest of the rule? If game entities aren't obliged to actually follow the
> damn rules, we might as well be playing Calvinball.)

Didn't we just leave this party?

Game entites (points or proosals or whatever) only exist as defined by the rules, so by definition have to follow them. Therefore rule 10 doesn't do anything for them.

Players can only modify the game state in accordance with the rules, by r152 (and probably some others). Therefore, we don't need r10 to make us obey them. Additionally, because actions we take out of game *cannot* be governed by the rules (if the rules say, for example, "all players must give all their money to Scoff!", then we'd all break them) it can lead to a situation where the rules state something is true which is false. Harmful? Perhaps not. Pretty? Not really.

And I'm not sure how the last sentence is debatable; it looks pretty clear-cut to me. ;-)

> "Making crazy sounds." is 521/0.
> Uncle Psychosis drinks a complimentary glass of champagne (gaining 4 Style
> points but no BAC, oddly). E can't stagger around on the Grid, seeing as
> how e's in Limbo, so e merely looks rather silly. (Hey, I didn't write
> that one... it's in the rule. honest.)

Go me! I may look silly, but I'm now the 3rd most stylish entity in the game!

I drink an infinite number of glasses of champagne, and then do the dance of filtering-your-mail-into-folders-by-to-field.

uin.

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Win the Ultimate Hawaiian Experience from Travelocity.
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4018363;6991039;n?http://svc.travelocity.com/promos/winhawaii/