Gavin Doig on 12 Feb 2002 13:24:54 -0000

RE: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: CFJ: Opening the floodgates

> >A player who submits a proposal in haiku form earns 10 Score points if the
> >proposal is adopted, in addition to any points received as a normal
> >consequence of the adoption of a proposal."
> >
> >To me, that reads as 10 points for submitting it, and another 10 if it
> >passes.
>
> "earns 10 Score points if the proposal is adopted" seems to say you only get
> them, like, if the proposal is adopted.

Yes.

> Nowhere does it say you gain points for just submitting it.

Nowhere in the portion you quoted, certainly. The bit at the start of the rule that says
"Players submitting
Proposals in haiku form
Earn 10 extra points"
does, however. ;-)

> >Of course, there's always Glotmorf's "LOGAS isn't 2 syllables" argument,
> >but... well, that's a pretty cheap way of trying to stop me getting 10
> >points I don't even care about in the first place. ;-)
>
> Scuse me, but there are some people out there that'd pronounce the
> abbreviation LOGAS as "el oh gee ay ess", which don't fit yer limerick.
> Those of various regional accents, and those attempting airs of literacy,
> might argue that the A can be regarded as silent, and thus pronounce it
> "log's" which is one syllable.
>
> I myself am a commuter, though, and therefore, in the depths of my mind,
> pronounce it "low-gas".  But the depths of my mind isn't a dictionary, and
> I don't recall seeing LOGAS in a dictionary.

Sure, you can find a pronunciation that's not 2 syllables. But you pretty much have to look... it's most natural (at least in the context of what's obviously a haiku) to interpret it as 2 syllables. And since the rules are silent on pronounciation, I see no reason not to go for the obvious interpretation. I mean, you'd accept it if there weren't points riding on it, right? Like you say, you're "trying to stop me"...

> But you see...I'm not trying to stop you getting 10 points.  I'm trying to
> stop you getting an EASY 10 points...:)

It's not so much easy, as accidental. If I'd been going for points, I'd have filled up my next week's allocation with unambiguously haiku'd proosals, and *then* CFJed. If the judge rules false on the grounds that it wasn't a haiku, and leaves out the issue of whether the rule gives out 10 points for submitting a haiku, it'll just be tiresome.

uin.

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Win a ski trip!
http://www.nowcode.com/register.asp?affiliate=1net2phone3a