Rob Speer on 20 Jan 2002 07:45:57 -0000

spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: CFJ: Double Standard

On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 01:34:55AM -0500, Donald Whytock wrote:
> Statement:
>
> CFJ 251, that non-player entities' votes should count since they are not regulated as players, was judged false; the analysis included the following:
>
> "Rule 30, which reads "Each Player may cast exactly one vote on each proposal on any given Ballot.", serves to regulate the action of voting. Since voting is thus regulated by the rules, non-player entities may only vote as specified by the rules. No rule specifies how a non-player entity should vote."
>
> In other words, if there is a rule that mentions how a given action is performed under certain circumstances, said action cannot be performed under any other circumstances.
>
> Yet, CFJ 249, that certain proposals that didn't use the Standard Delimiters from rule 217, was also judged false; the analysis included the following:
>
> "Rule 217 merely defines the standard delimeters; nowhere does it require that they are used."
>
> In other words, just because there is a rule that mentions how a given action is performed under certain circumstances, said action is not prevented from being performed under any other circumstances.
>
> These two judgments are contradictory; therefore one of them must be invalid.

I'm going to go against the 'encouragement' and lose the lithp for thith
methage.

Your CFJ is nearly convincing, but your analogy breaks down. The problem
is that you are paraphrasing the rules and making them say something
else in the process.

Rule 217 doesn't describe how any action is performed; it simply states
the meaning of certain character sequences.

I quote:
 The character sequences '{{' and '}}' (without the single quotes) serve
 to delimit a proposal or a rule; in any Action where they appear, they
 are considered to mark the beginning and end, respectively, of a
 proposal or rule.

So the appropriate analogy is this:

Since voting is regulated, "Players may vote" implies "Non-players may
not vote".

Since standard delimiters are regulated, "'{{' and '}}' delimit
proposals and rules in Actions where they appear" implies "'{{' and '}}'
do not delimit proposals and rules in Actions where they do not appear".
Which should be patently obvious.

--
Rob Speer