Greg Ritter on 16 Jan 2002 04:16:52 -0000

RE: spoon-discuss: RE: spoon-business: Proposal: No Kickbacks (Justice, Administered Piecemeal)

At 08:56 AM 1/15/2002 -0600, you wrote:

You said yourself, an inquest is to find out what happened.  The inquest
/ CFJ establishes a course of events that took place in the past, as
well as a decision on the legality of those events.  What it can't do is
un-event those events -- a murder inquest can't un-murder a body, a
Senate hearing on a political scandal can't un-publicize the scandal.
Remedial actions are taken in the here and now.  When things can be
undone in the same way they were done, they are (e.g. the Secretary of
the Treasury embezzles $1 billion, so it is taken back into the Treasury
from eir Grand Cayman bank account), and it is *as if* they never
happened.  But in other cases, such as a very dead, very murdered corpse
(or to offer a potential game example, a player has resigned the game
due to the illegal action taken against em by another player), the
correction cannot directly undo the course of events, so a suitable
remedy is chosen (such as penalizing the person / player responsible).

Bingo. Dead on accurate. Well spoken.

If I had any points beyond the three I got for being funny, I'd give you one...but I'm too stingy right now.

--gritter