Greg Ritter on 29 Dec 2001 18:48:43 -0000

spoon-discuss: Zero-sum via Economics?

Nah, I don't think so. The game itself doesn't become a zero-sum game, because there is still a non-zero sum strategy for winning (e.g. points) that is a victory criteria entirely independent of a monopoly win. For a game to be a zero-sum game it has to be zero-sum for ALL strategies.

The goal of these proposals isn't to turn B Nomic into a zero-sum game (and I don't think it does). At best, my proposals provide a single zero-sum strategy for winning only if the fourth proposal (Victory By Monopoly) passes. Remove that last proposal and we still have a currency system without a zero-sum strategy for winning the game. And that also assumes that no one ever comes up with another rule that affects that rule or the amount or value of currency in circulation (which is probably unlikely if this is like other Nomic games).

gritter

At 04:37 AM 12/29/2001 -0500, you wrote:

On 12/28/01 at 11:40 PM Greg Ritter wrote:

>{BEGIN PROPOSAL A}
>{TITLE: Currency}
>
>{BEGIN PROPOSAL B}
>{TITLE: Proposal Awards}
>
>{BEGIN PROPOSAL C}
>{TITLE: Sharing the Wealth}
>
>{BEGIN PROPOSAL D}
>{TITLE: Victory By Monopoly}

Okay...these would turn B Nomic into a zero-sum game, which is an interesting idea, yes...but why couldn't this be done by re-working the points system?

                                                Glotmorf