Joel Uckelman on 25 Feb 2001 22:00:44 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: scoring

Quoth Dan:

> I see a couple of problems with the present scoring system.  I like the
> way we reward people for passed proposals, but I think that penalizing
> players for failed proposals discourages innovation.  Sometimes an idea
> might have to be presented in several different forms before it catches
> on, and the person who thinks of it first gets dinged for points.
>
> Also, this makes the income of the bank highly unpredictable.  It is very
> hard for me to try to keep some semblance of balance.
>
> I would rather see a system where there is a light fee at the submission
> stage of every proposal proposal, so everyone pays a fairly light toll
> rather than the unlucky player getting slapped with a big fine.
>
> I'm still trying to pay off my debt from the time I got slapped for 60
> points in one go, because the fine was set high and several of my
> proposals failed.
>
> Does anyone agree with me?
>
> Poulenc

Hmm. I have two thoughts:

First, if we were going to do something like this, it would be a good idea
to allow everyone a free proposal per nweek, or to provide some sort of
"unemployment" payment, just so no one could get into a position in which e
was unable to make Proposals.

Second, I thought sure that the first Amnesty Resolution cut your debt to
something fairly small.

--
J.