Joel Uckelman on 24 Feb 2001 18:22:56 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: scoring

Quoth Jeff Schroeder:
> At 09:50 PM 2/23/01, you wrote:
>
> >I see a couple of problems with the present scoring system.  I like the
> >way we reward people for passed proposals, but I think that penalizing
> >players for failed proposals discourages innovation.  Sometimes an idea
> >might have to be presented in several different forms before it catches
> >on, and the person who thinks of it first gets dinged for points.
>
> I have been setting the failed proposal fine to a low amount for just those
> reasons.  In an upcoming nweek, I will set it to zero again.  However I
> don't agree that the discouragement of innovation is a large enough
> justification for removing the failed proposal fine altogether.  I checked
> the rules and do not see a proposal limit per player, therefore the purpose
> is to prevent a Player or Players from inundating the system with frivolous
> proposals.

Actually, an Agent is limited to 10 live Motions of any one type (R120),
and since Proposals are Motion, no one can have more than 10 live Proposals
at any one time. Nor may anyone make more than 10 new Proposals in one day,
either (also from the second sentence of R120).

--
J.