Joel Uckelman on 2 Oct 2000 04:35:51 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: new lists

Quoth Jeff Schroeder:
> I am pretty sure that he wants to know the point of having this huge number
> of separate lists.  I just file them into the same mailbox for Nomic.  What
> is the difference between spoon-discuss and spoon-business?  Isn't all
> discussion related to game business?  If there is a functional difference
> between the two lists, what happens (since I just dump everything into one
> mailbox) if I hit reply on something and send a message of importance to
> the wrong list?  Is it ignored or is there a mechanism to either redirect
> or handle the message anyway? Is the old list now defunct?
>
> jeff

Ah. I probably didn't explain that very well (maybe not at all). The reason
I separated the lists was to ease automagically dealing with certain
actions. Fewer messages to my script means (1) less process time used to
run it, and (2) that it doesn't need to be able to differentiate between
things quoted with ">"s and the things themselves (among other
difficulties). The list filter isn't up yet, but this will help when it is.

As for replies, the Reply-To headers for both lists are set to
spoon-discuss, so you can't accidentally send a reply to the business list.
As for sending business to the discussion list... well, you'll be heckled
by everyone and the action will never be recognized. C'est la vie.

The old list (nomic@xxxxxxxxxxx) is still out there, and will be kept in
reserve as a backup list in case something awful happens to my server and
the spoon lists are unusable.

--
J.

--