Justin Ahmann on Sun, 8 Aug 2010 11:13:26 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-b] [Oracle] CFI 126

________________________________

I answer CFI 126 TRUE.

{{
__Arguments__

The primary relevant passage under consideration is from Rule 49:
{{
A player whose Location did not change during the previous Phase may gain one
Failure point by announcement;
}}
There are (at least) two possible readings of this.  Either it describes a
player whose Location did not (change during the previous Phase), or it
references a player whose Location (did not change) during the previous Phase.

In the first case, the answer is clearly TRUE.  There was no way for teucer's
Location to (change during the previous Phase), there being no previous Phase
(Rule 3/1 could not retroactively start one last Zarpint or earlier, by Rule 51,
"Thou Shalt Not Screw With Time").

In the second case, it is a bit thornier.  Since the previous Phase is
nonexistent, as outlined above, nothing could happen during it--including a
Location not changing.  As an illustration, consider the (nonexistent) country
of Glarkia.  If you ask me "Is the height of the tallest person in Glarkia
greater than yours?" I would, honestly, have to answer "No."  However, if you
ask me "Is the height of the tallest person in Glarkia less than or equal to
yours?" my answer is, again, "No."  This is despite the fact that the two
propositions are complementary--if there actually were a tallest person in
Glarkia, one or the other would be true.

So the second case comes down to two possible readings as well: (did not) change
versus did (not change).  The former seems more natural, as is borne out by a
quote from a certain website:
"do, which adds little to the meaning of the negative phrase, but serves as a
place to attach the negative particles not"
and thus, since it is false that teucer's Location changed during the previous
Phase, the answer is TRUE.

}}

Codae